Jacobs employ some of the UK's most experienced and skilled technical services professionals and has grown to over 9,000 people in locations across the UK.
At Jacobs we provide the resources to turn great ideas into reality, and we're looking for the most talented and passionate individuals out there to be our next generation of leaders.
We currently have an opportunity for a Principal Civil/Structural Engineer within our team based in Westlakes (Cumbria). The successful person will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
The UK Nuclear area within Jacobs provide engineering design, construction, planning, support, survey, design-build, project management and program management for our Nuclear Industry clients. With more than fifty years of experience across the complete nuclear asset lifecycle, we support client delivery and the associated infrastructure requirements at every stage of a project.
The successful candidate will be working on projects of varying scales and complexity, where they will assist and lead in the delivery of calculations and design documents, ensuring time, cost and quality are met.
They will address and resolve functional issues within a project through use of their technical capabilities and engineering judgement, applying own or colleague's skills or generating innovative solutions as appropriate.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Functional input to own projects, including leading the input of other engineers to ensure engineering delivery meets scope, time, cost and quality
- Plan and prioritize own work and that of more junior staff to deliver a quality functional input to projects
- Attend meetings providing technical input and justification
- Oversee more junior members of the team and mentor/develop their core skills
- Able to complete comprehensive engineering calculations and assessments of design solution proposals as well as developing technical details, and undertaking constructability and installation reviews, working autonomously and checking the work or more junior staff
- Generate and check engineering estimates and execution strategies to provide optimal solutions and eliminate errors
- Capable of independent and autonomous work during the delivery of complex engineering activities.
- Chartered Member of an appropriate institution (ICE/IStructE)
- Ability to Lead projects of varying size and complexity, and manage aspects of project activities from a technical perspective
- Excellent technical skills
- Proficient use and knowledge of appropriate structural analysis programs (preferably STAAD)
- Ability to achieve P4 pass holder status and a minimum of SC clearance
- Experience of detailed calculations and design work for reinforced concrete and structural steelwork.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member
- Ability to have constructive dialogue with staff from all levels and discipline groups; together with liaising with client organisations
- Awareness of applicable codes and safety legislation and how they should be applied
- Experience of working in the Nuclear industry
- General proficiency in use of IT
- Experience of working at or for Sellafield Ltd
- Experience of design to Eurocodes
- Experience of seismic design
- Experience of design of masonry structures
- Knowledge and use of BIM
All staff are required to obtain SC level security clearance.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and well being of all.