Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States. Based in San Francisco, with 20,000 employees, the company delivers some of the nation's cleanest energy to 15 million people in Northern and Central California.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability status, medical condition, protected veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the job.
The Corporate Relations function develops, executes and oversees a broad spectrum of strategic communications initiatives, provides communications counsel and support to all lines of business, and manages the corporate branding program at PG&E.
The Communications Representative, Principal will provide strategic development and implementation of both external media and employee communications for PG&E's Customer Care organization. This includes developing relevant messaging, serving as a company spokesperson and driving the execution of the department's integrated communications plan. The position is responsible for building relationships with Customer Care leadership to seek out PG&E's latest
advancements in technology, system upgrades and other proof points to help tell PG&E's progress story to the media and employees. The goals for this individual will be focused in these key areas: proactively engaging with media outlets (local, state and trade) to garner news coverage of PG&E's Customer Care team, development of written materials such as employee communications/speeches and articles, and driving engagement and awareness of the company's
vision and strategy among its employees.
The ideal candidate is:
• An excellent writer and communicator who is committed to simple, clear and creative ways of communicating.
• Able to find interesting ways to make the messages of an organization more human and engaging.
• Experienced working with the media at many levels (local, state, national, business and trade).
• Able to develop communication plans, launch and lead communication initiatives.
• Comfortable and effective at working with people across all levels of the organization, including senior executives, managers and field-based employees.
• Must have the ability and willingness to be on-call, including on nights, weekends and holidays, as a member of the emergency response team.
• 10 years of experience in corporate communications (in-house and/or agency).
• Bachelor's degree in Communications or related field, or equivalent work experience.
• Excellent written and verbal communication - a good storyteller who can quickly and succinctly develop speeches, messaging, employee communications, etc.
• A demonstrated ability to develop and executive integrated communications strategies.
• Proven track record of success writing for and providing communications support and counsel to executives.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point)
• Strong business acumen, preferably combined with a knowledge of energy and environmental issues.
• Media relations background and previous experience serving as a spokesperson for a company.
• Experience developing content and managing communications through multiple delivery
channels (web, print, video, social media).
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, project manage multiple issues concurrently.
• Ability to build working relationships across all levels of an organization.
• Embraces change and demonstrates flexibility when priorities shift.
• Develop and execute integrated external and internal communication plans for the Customer Care organization, specifically focused on business initiatives.
• Develop messaging and materials for senior executives, including speeches, op-eds and articles, presentations, scripts, talking points and employee messages. Liaise with a range of internal business partners and subject matter experts to research and develop content.
• Create original content for Customer Care communications that can be used in media messaging, news releases, social media, fact sheets, and PG&E blog posts ( xxxxxxx), etc.
• Plan and manage media events, employee events, video webcasts and conference calls.
• Provide strategic counsel to Customer Care on communication planning and development,
editing/reviewing services, message control and alignment with other lines of business (e.g.
• Maintain a keen focus on delivering messaging to both the media and employees.
• Regularly provide reports on communication activities, project status and success metrics.
• Provide coaching, development and support to colleagues within the Corporate Relations team.
• Ability to staff emergencies as either a first-responder, or a strategic advisor, or both, as required.