Based in San Francisco, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States. And we deliver some of the nation's cleanest energy to our customers in Northern and Central California. For PG&E, "Together, Building a Better California" is not just a slogan. It's the very core of our mission and the scale by which we measure our success. We know that the nearly 16 million people who do business with our company count on our more than 24,000 employees for far more than the delivery of utility services. They, along with every citizen of the state we call home, also expect PG&E to help improve their quality of life, the economic vitality of their communities, and the prospect for a better future fueled by clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability status, medical condition, protected veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the job.
This Gas Distribution GIS Senior Business System Specialist position is located within the Technology, Strategy and Solutions organization under Asset and Risk Management for Gas Operations. Technology, Strategy and Solutions is responsible for providing technical application solutions to support maintenance, operation, and capital improvements along with the development of safe, automated, modernized and efficient technology tools and applications for current PG&E business standards and processes. The Gas Distribution GIS project is tasked with developing and deploying gas distribution asset information primarily converted from the current CAD mapping system (MET) to an enhanced GIS application that will interface with SAP and Documentum systems.
This position will coordinate across multiple stakeholder groups to successfully identify and assist with deployment of functional enhancements within the Gas Distribution GIS within a dynamic project team of GIS, SAP, and IT professionals. This individual will act as technical coordinator on GIS process development, data quality and integrity initiatives, data conversion from various ancillary sources within gas operations, and the development of continuous improvement options for the mapping maintenance program that creates the GIS database of record. This technical specialist should have understanding and technical background working with gas distribution and transmission pipelines, pipeline engineering, and GIS.
The successful candidate must be an advocate for safety, lead by example, and help PG&E attain its vision of being the leading utility by leveraging the skills and experience of a diverse team to focus on the successful delivery of assigned programs.
This position is currently located in Walnut Creek and reports to the Gas Distribution GIS Process Improvement Supervisor. Travel at various phases of the project timeline throughout the PG&E service territory is anticipated.
• BA/BS in Business, Engineering, Computer Science/Information Systems, etc. or equivalent work experience
• 4 years of working experience including GIS, project management, process development, or related field
• Background working with gas distribution, gas transmission pipelines, pipeline integrity, and pipeline construction
• Understands the use and applications of PG&E GIS programs and databases
• In depth knowledge of GIS functionality and large relational database models
• Experience developing, implementing, and documenting workflows and best practices
• Database design & development, SQL, and linear referencing experience preferred
• Experience utilizing GIS for facilities management
• QA / QC experience
• Extensive working knowledge of ESRI toolsets including ArcMap, ArcCatalog and ArcGIS Server. Overall knowledge and understanding of ArcFM suite
• Direct experience working with cross-functional teams in a matrixed environment with a focus in process development and data management
• Bachelor's degree; geography, cartography, planning, computer science or related field with an emphasis in GIS preferred
• Data Delivery: Support lines of business with high priority data requests and GIS process development furthering the development and functionality of the current asset information systems. Respond in a timely manner to data requests as needed. Identify requirements and implement advanced analytical techniques necessary to solve complex GIS issues. Gather, integrate and migrate data from various sources into ArcGIS databases. Perform spatial analysis and report out on the quality of GIS data through direct coordination with the Gas Distribution GIS Quality and Testing Supervisor. Understand GIS and SAP workflows and their impact on business processes. Create and develop spatial reports. Establish GIS and related SAP processes for line of business support. Work collaboratively with other stakeholder groups and departments to achieve project objectives, share expertise, and lessons learned.
• Communication: This position will serve as the technical owner for the Gas Distribution GIS project procedures, and must proactively communicate with organizations throughout Gas Operations initially with the Production Mapping team during the development of these procedures to align with ongoing efforts to update existing mapping standards and advancement programs.
• Business / Operational Strategy Development: Understand the GIS and related SAP business process, and know how to apply program rules and requirements. Stay abreast of changing business requirements. Develop and implement project planning, status reporting, and scheduling. Help establish the governance process and standard for the Gas Distribution GIS Gas Distribution GIS. Coordinate with IT to design and develop technical architecture to ensure systems and infrastructure are supported and aligned with business goals.
• Special Projects: Liaise with business leads to help define process & technology roadmaps supporting long-term objectives. Act as a technical lead for the Gas Distribution GIS special projects. Develop through proof of concepts, new projects, workflow processes, and subsequent technical documentation. Proactively support multiple stakeholder organizations throughout PG&E as well as third party consultants and contractors during the development of these projects. Represents Gas Distribution GIS at internal and external meetings and presentations.