Are you working in a position that involves direct, hands-on mechanical, hydraulic, or electrical experience? Or have you worked with the maintenance and service of wind turbines? Vestas has opportunities in our service technician group for you to further expand these capabilities in the wind industry. As a Service Technician at Vestas, the global leader in wind energy, you are part of the biggest team of service technicians in the world, servicing the biggest fleet of wind turbines.
Service Technician II
Vestas Americas, Service - US & Canada
The Service Technician role is to maintain and troubleshoot complex hydraulic and electrical controls circuits to maintain a wind turbine. The customer relies on our safe work practices, technical acumen, teamwork, leadership and fiscal stewardship to maintain the turbines in their best condition to generate power at the lowest overall cost.
- Closely adhere to all safety standards and procedures. Act as a safety role model, encourage and recognize others completing safe acts, and intervene when unsafe acts are being practiced. Identify gaps in safety standards and safety risks in the operational environment, implement effective risk mitigation, and provide recommendations to higher level technical staff and management.
- Demonstrate and promote integrity, strong initiative, a no-compromise focus on safety, and quality of work on a continuous basis.
- May assist with or perform basic quality audits of less experienced staff.
- Perform intermediate level wind turbine maintenance and/or installation tasks as assigned, such as proficient operation and use of tools (including but not limited to specialized calibration, hydraulic, power tools) and basic turbine equipment. Document tasks where required and enters data into company system (e.g. SAP).
- Effectively gather information regarding turbine performance / issues. May diagnose, recommend, and implement solutions up to intermediate routine issues. Seek assistance when encountering turbine issues outside trained skill level to ensure success in resolution.
- Follow basic structured problem-solving process to complete troubleshooting and diagnostic tasks to include the use of diagnostic tools (e.g. basic fluke meter functions, hydraulic pressure gauge).
- Independently initiate and perform most work tasks, as well as follow defined instructions and maintenance schedules, executing plans as directed, and perform according to written and verbal instruction from higher level technical staff.
- Effectively promote strong team environment by assisting teammates in accomplishing goals and mentoring lower level technical staff. Visibly support and promote change initiatives and team spirit and cooperation.
- Proactively look for improvement opportunities to job appropriate processes and procedures and communicate through appropriate channels or implement improvements using the appropriate control management protocol.
- Interface with customer and may respond to customer inquiries. Refer complex customer inquiries to higher level technical staff or manager. Demonstrate strong customer focus at all times.
- This role will require travel and working overtime, including working a flexible and variable work schedule as needed to meet business objectives.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
- Applicants must meet and comply with requirements and limitations of relevant PPE and safety equipment.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum one (1) year technical wind industry experience, OR six (6) months technical wind industry experience and a certificate of completion from a Wind Technician program, OR in absence of technical wind industry experience, minimum three (3) years' experience working with hydraulic, electrical, mechanical skills and/or composite skills
- Demonstrated use and understanding of intermediate level power tools such as hydraulic, power torque and diagnostic tools (e.g. fluke meter functions and hydraulic pressure gauge).
- Ability to demonstrate intermediate working knowledge of industrial safety practices / protocols (e.g. Confined Space, energy isolation).
- Valid Driver's License and ability to obtain a Passport.
- Strong attention to detail and execution excellence.
- Good interpersonal and customer relation skills.
- Able to effectively collaborate with employees at all professional levels and ability to respectfully follow supervision and support initiatives.
- Basic computer operation skills, familiarity with internet based program navigation, and ability to generate and interpret computer data.
- Ability to read, interpret and understand drawings and schematics to validate work activity and ensure that risks are identified and mitigated.
- Internal candidates must be certified to Task-Based Certification (TBC) level 200.
- Ability to constantly climb stairs and ladders xxxxxxxmeters in height, in order to access work area.
- Ability to frequently lift, push, pull, and carry items up to 50 lbs in weight.
- Ability to frequently walk, stand, look up/down, balance, stoop, twist, kneel, and bend.
- Ability to constantly grip and manually manipulate, often with repetitive motion, items such as, but not limited to, hand tools and turbine parts.
- Comfort constantly working in confined spaces and at heights over 100 meters.
- Ability to speak, read, comprehend, and write in English.
- Ability to successfully participate in all training courses, including controlled decent.
- Ability to hear and see, including the ability to perceive depth and distinguish colors, sufficient to perform job functions and use close range radios.
- Able to work in demanding physical and inclement weather conditions.
- Comfort working remotely in a Turbine as part of a team with limited supervisory interaction.
- Ability to work in a respirator, including passing a respirator medical evaluation and fit test (required to be clean shaven)
What we offer
As a member of the Vestas team, we offer a competitive salary and one of the most comprehensive benefits plans in the industry. Among the many amenities we offer: healthcare; dental; vision; paid time off (PTO); generous 401(k) plan; tuition assistance; and much more.
It is the policy of Vestas to afford equal employment opportunity without regard to age, race, religion, color, gender, or national origin, and to afford equal opportunity to veterans and individuals with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, provincial, or local law. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application and/or interview process should notify a representative within the People & Culture department.
This job is located in Rush Springs, OK
WIND. IT MEANS THE WORLD TO US.
By joining Vestas, you join the only global energy company dedicated 100% to wind energy. Together with our customers, we have installed more the 55,000 turbines in over 70 countries, and we remain committed to increase that number via our superior, cost-effective wind technologies, products and services.
Since Vestas was founded in 1979, Vestas has achieved a market-leading position with more than 70 GW of installed wind turbines or around 19% of the total global capacity.
Every day, everyone at Vestas works to make Vestas the undisputed global wind leader and the world's energy mix more sustainable - join us, and be part of ensuring a sustainable future for our planet.