The Structural Engineer provides engineering support for Vestas Americas Construction projects and Service. This position requires the use of troubleshooting, root cause analysis and civil/structural calculations to resolve field anomalies related to foundations and towers with considerable latitude for action and decision-making.
Lead Engineer, Structural
Vestas American Wind Technology, Inc.
The Engineering department's role is to optimize wind turbine performance and reliability by providing engineering support for construction and maintenance through troubleshooting, root cause analysis, solution development, engineering project management and customer support.
- Understands product technology related to wind turbine civil and structural components to a substantial degree and is able to effectively communicate with field personnel as well as customer's engineers, consultants and executive management.
- Develops and maintains region-specific technical documentation in support of civil/structural functions.
- Conducts root cause analysis for foundation and tower component failures and prepares formal reports.
- Develops cost effective technical solutions for foundation and tower issues.
- Works within multi-discipline teams to solve complex mechanical, electrical and structural problems.
- Represents WTG Engineering in construction and project meetings.
- Provides technical guidance to other engineers within the department.
- Presents technology at conferences and generally recognized to be a regional technology expert in supporting Vestas commercial operations.
- Participates in industry groups supporting wind technology. In some instances it will be necessary to lead or influence some key industry groups.
- Evaluates construction-related issues related to wind turbine installation
- Reviews construction Requests for Information (RFIs) for contractor installation modification requests.
- Prepares and maintains necessary drawings, specifications, and documents for project installations and continuous improvement projects associated with construction.
- Completes corrective action projects to analyze and resolve field failures of structural systems/components for wind turbine generators.
- Manages and responds to technical inquiries from service personnel, project managers and external customers.
- Prepares and maintains necessary drawings, specifications and documents for project installations and continuous improvement projects.
- Provides ongoing technical field support for wind turbines under Vestas service contracts.
- Coordinates activities with global Service Engineering and Component Improvement Engineers to ensure effective engineering solutions are developed and implemented according to Vestas Americas' needs.
- Bachelors of Science degree in Civil Engineering
- Minimum of 5 years' experience as a Civil or Structural Engineer
- Minimum of 5 years' experience directly related to structures, foundations, soils composite materials and related.
- Professional Engineering License in Civil Engineering
- Experience with group and project management
- Considerable experience in engineering problem-solving
- Considered by peers to be a top performer
What we offer
As a member of the Vestas team, we offer a competitive salary and one of the most comprehensive benefits plans in the industry. Among the many amenities we offer: healthcare; dental; vision; paid time off (PTO); generous 401(k) plan; tuition assistance; and much more.
It is the policy of Vestas to afford equal employment opportunity without regard to age, race, religion, color, gender, or national origin, and to afford equal opportunity to veterans and individuals with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, provincial, or local law. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application and/or interview process should notify a representative within the People & Culture department.
This position is located in Portland, OR
WIND. IT MEANS THE WORLD TO US.
By joining Vestas, you join the only global energy company dedicated 100% to wind energy. Together with our customers, we have installed more than 51.000 turbines in over 70 countries, and we remain committed to increase that number via our superior, cost-effective wind technologies, products and services.
Since Vestas was founded in 1979, Vestas has achieved a market-leading position with more than 60 GW of installed wind turbines or around 19% of total global capacity.
Every day, everyone at Vestas works to make Vestas the undisputed global wind leader and the world's energy mix more sustainable - join us, and be part of ensuring a sustainable future for our planet