Would you like to play an important role in delivering the next generation of powertrains in the race of Cost of Energy within the renewable energy industry? Are you a Mechanical Engineer with excellent knowledge of gearbox and gear design and are highly interested in gearbox applications in wind turbines? Are you interested in a career within the development department of the market leader in Wind Energy? We are currently seeking for a qualified Gearbox Specialist to join our global Powertrain Engineering Team!
Specialist (f/m) Gearbox - Powertrain System - Dortmund
Vestas Technology and Service Solutions
Vestas Technology & Service Solutions (TSS) is responsible for developing, verifying and industrializing Wind Turbines and related Service Products. It is here that we lay the technological foundation for staying the global leader in wind energy by continuously reducing the Cost of Energy.
The Powertrain System converts the kinetic energy from the wind turbine rotor into electrical energy. The system consists of main components such as gearbox, generator and main shaft bearings, and the supporting auxiliary systems such as lubrication, couplings, or brakes.
The Powertrain department currently consists of approx. 50 highly skilled employees, primarily situated in Denmark and in Germany. Our mission is to drive the evolution of powertrain solutions which set standards in the wind turbine industry. Strong focus is on providing solutions which will reduce the cost of energy faster than the market. We are working on flexible solutions for providing customized offerings to our customers in order to compete in mature and emerging markets even with challenging local content demands. This also requires that this department continuously focus on operational excellence in the development and foster an innovative culture in integrating and exploiting novel technologies to improve the time to market and finally continuously contributing to extend the global leadership position of Vestas.
For our extremely ambitious technology projects the Specialist (f/m) Gearbox will bring in his/her expertise to improve the gearboxes in our powertrain systems with respect to reliability, efficiency, noise emission, power density and power-to-weight ratio.
- Scoping a long-term roadmap for reducing LCoE through enabling higher energy yield, reducing operating expenditures and lower cost in close co-operation with our strategic supply partners
- Defining and driving technology projects in gear profile optimization to improve load carrying capacity, efficiency and vibration excitation
- Investigating and evaluating advances in materials, tribology and topology in gearbox applications in- and outside of wind energy
- Assessing the potentials of different gearbox layouts and alternative power transmission technologies
- Scoping and actively involving in selected pre-competitive and collaborative research projects, e.g. FVA, VDI, VDMA or AGMA
- Engagement in IEC or ISO standardization committees in accordance with Vestas standardization strategy
- Creating and maintaining guidelines for internal and external use
- Executing development projects for integration of improved gearbox designs into existing and future product platforms (including specification, strength analysis and verification, closely accompanying the design, testing and production implementation at the gearbox supplier)
Qualifications and work experience
- Solid educational background with a Ph.D. or M.Sc. degree in Mechanical Engineering with profound understanding of mechanical systems as well as strength and fatigue of materials
- Several years' work experience in the industry, at a research institute or an engineering consultancy, with main emphasis in domains like gear shape optimization, improvement of gearbox efficiency, noise optimization and materials application
- Your professional competence paired with a self-confident and poise behavior make up your natural leadership abilities. This way, you are able to convince your surroundings, and you achieve your results also in difficult circumstances
- Your organizational and communicative skills allow you to achieve your results through international and multi-disciplinary teams which involve colleagues from various parts of Vestas as well as supply partners globally
- Your outgoing personality enables you to establish an external network which drives and cooperates in technology projects with universities and suppliers
- You motivate yourself through the results that you accomplish, and address your tasks proactively with a high degree of personal responsibility. You have high ambitions to continuously advance the quality of your deliverables, but also understand the importance to deliver on time
- Your balanced personality and self-confidence enable you to manage multiple tasks in parallel, and keep a clear sight of the targets also when stakes are high
- Excellent language skills (speaking and writing) in English are required
What we offer
The right candidate will find a challenging and demanding job, right at the forefront of developing technologies which continuously improve the competitiveness of renewable energy. Naturally, joining the global leader within wind energy makes you part of inspiring journey, and our international footprint and global supply- and manufacturing setup provides a multi-cultural work environment.
The position we offer will provide you with excellent opportunities to develop your professional skills, advance your competencies, and develop your personality and leadership profile. The powertrain system is a core element of the wind turbine, and hence there is growth potential in the position.
Please apply online.
Preferred work location is Dortmund, Germany.
The position will require travelling activities to internal Vestas locations as well as external locations.
For additional information please contact Martin Klönne. Phone: xxxxxxx xxxxxxx9126
WIND. IT MEANS THE WORLD TO US.
By joining Vestas, you join the only global energy company dedicated 100% to wind energy. Together with our customers, we have installed more than 51.000 turbines in over 70 countries, and we remain committed to increase that number via our superior, cost-effective wind technologies, products and services.
Since Vestas was founded in 1979, Vestas has achieved a market-leading position with more than 60 GW of installed wind turbines or around 19% of total global capacity.
Every day, everyone at Vestas works to make Vestas the undisputed global wind leader and the world's energy mix more sustainable - join us, and be part of ensuring a sustainable future for our planet.