Are you looking for an exciting opportunity in a growing industry? Then take a closer look at Vestas.
Lead Engineer (f/m) Gearbox - Dortmund
Vestas Technology and Service Solutions Department
Vestas Technology and Service Solutions (TSS) is responsible for developing, validating and industrializing Wind Turbines and related Service Products. It is here that we lay Vestas technical and technological foundation for staying the global leader in wind energy by continuously reducing the Cost of Energy.
The Drivetrain Department is part of the Powertrain Area and as such in charge of the design and development of the Drivetrain System and its modules and components (main bearings, gearboxes, brakes, couplings, lubrication systems). Together with our colleagues from the Generator Department, we are developing efficient and reliable Wind Turbine Powertrains for converting the mechanical energy from the rotor into electrical energy.
The Drivetrain Department consists of more than 30 highly skilled employees who are engaged in the current 2MW, 3MW and 8MW platforms as well as in future products. The employees are located on two sites in Denmark and Germany and work in close collaboration with each other as well as with the Loads, Nacelles, Generator, Controller and Test Departments in Denmark.
The Gearbox is the major single component of the Powertrain in terms of cost, weight and complexity. In order to strengthen our Gearbox Design Team, we are looking for a Lead Engineer for Gears and Gearboxes, who will join in on advancing and maturing Gear Technology for our current and future Wind Turbine Products.
Responsibilities and tasks
The Lead Engineer (f/m) Gearbox will take on technical responsibility for one of our Gearbox Development projects. The main activities are:
- Develop and maintain Gearbox Component Specifications based on system and product level requirements
- Support, control and review the Gearbox Concept and detailed design at the supplier for making sure that the component will meet Vestas expectations with regards to function, performance, reliability, quality, costs and timelines
- Support and contribute to system concept design
- Conduct risk analysis (e.g. D-FMEA)
- Evaluate load sets, e.g. according to IEC design load cases
- Prepare verification plans, procedures and reports
- Support verification activities on test benches (in-house and at suppliers) and on the turbine
- Ensure gearbox integration into the turbine
- Provide technical information and documentation as input to project milestones and for certification
- Identify and drive cost-out activities
- Conduct root cause analysis.
Qualifications and work experience
- Master's Degree or equivalent (e.g. Dipl.-Ing.) in Mechanical Engineering, specializing in Gear Technology and Gearbox Design
- Several years' experience with Gearbox Development from Wind Turbine, Aerospace, Automotive or Heavy Industries
- Understanding of product development processes
- Profound knowledge in calculation methods for gears, bearings, shafts, structural components etc. (e.g. ISO6336, ISO281, FKM Guideline)
- Experience in loads analysis (Extreme and Fatigue, e.g. LRD, LDD, RFC) is required
- Deep insight into failure modes and mechanisms of gearboxes and related machine elements
- Experience in conducting D-FMEA's would be recommended
- Good understanding of Six-Sigma methods would be appreciated
- Experience in gearbox testing and background on manufacturing aspects of gearboxes would be recommended
- Fluent English. German language would be appreciated
- Software Skills:
- FVA Workbench, LVR (planet), Bearinx (or similar tools)
- Programming experience (e.g. Fortran, C, Matlab, Visual Basic) would be recommended
- Team oriented and communicative in an international and multi-disciplinary environment
- Pro-active, strongly motivated and self-driven
- Structured and organized way of working
- Availability to travel (around 40 days per year)
What we offer
You will be part of a project-orientated organization with a positive and inspiring work environment. You will be offered an attractive compensation package due to your qualifications and the demands of this position.
Primary work location Dortmund, Germany. For additional information please contact Martin Klönne, Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 18, xxxxxxxDortmund, Germany. Phone: xxxxxxx xxxxxxx9126
WIND. IT MEANS THE WORLD TO US.
By joining Vestas, you join the only global energy company dedicated 100% to wind energy. Together with our customers, we have installed more than 51.000 turbines in over 70 countries, and we remain committed to increase that number via our superior, cost-effective wind technologies, products and services.
Since Vestas was founded in 1979, Vestas has achieved a market-leading position with more than 60 GW of installed wind turbines or around 19% of total
Every day, everyone at Vestas works to make Vestas the undisputed global wind leader and the world's energy mix more sustainable - join us, and be part of ensuring a sustainable future for our planet.