Are you looking for an exciting opportunity in a growing industry? Then take a closer look at Vestas.
Specialist Metallurgy (f/m) - Dortmund
Vestas technology and service solutions department
Vestas Technology & Service Solutions (TSS) is responsible for developing, verifying and industrializing wind turbines and related service products. It is here that we lay the technological foundation for staying the global leader in wind energy by continuously reducing the Cost of Energy.
The Powertrain System converts the kinetic energy from the wind turbine rotor into electrical energy. The system consists of main components such as gearbox, generator and main shaft bearings, and the supporting auxiliary systems such as lubrication, couplings, or brakes.
The Powertrain department currently consists of approx. 50 highly skilled employees, primarily situated in Denmark and in Germany. Our mission is to drive the evolution of powertrain solutions which set standards in the wind turbine industry. Strong focus is on providing solutions which will reduce the Cost of Energy faster than the market. We are working on flexible solutions in order to provide customized offerings to our customers in order to compete in mature and emerging markets even with challenging local content demands. This also requires that the department continuously focuses on operational excellence in the development, and foster an innovative culture in integrating and exploiting novel technologies to improve the time to market and finally continuously contributing to extend the global leadership position of Vestas.
Within this exciting and challenging environment we have an immediate opening for you an experienced specialist in alloyed steel metallurgy and materials applications.
Responsibilities and tasks
Within our extremely ambitious project portfolio, your expertise will primarily contribute to technology projects which onboard innovative material solutions to enable visionary powertrain systems.
In this context you will be responsible for:
- Developing alternative materials and heat treatment processes which increase both load carrying capacity and defect tolerance of metallic components within the powertrain system
- Develop new methods within surface engineering (e.g. coating, textures) to increase durability and reduce friction and wear of rolling contact elements
- Establish fatigue and failure propagation models (material mechanics)
- Maintain the specifications for alloyed steel materials, processes and inspection requirements (e.g. steelmaking, hot forming or heat treatment)
- Perform material investigations for process validation, design verification or failure analysis in co-operation with component owners, suppliers and internal/external laboratories
Qualifications and work experience
- You base your career on a solid educational engineering background with a Master degree in ferrous metallurgy. You have insight into domains like process metallurgy, metal forming, material characterization and processing or steel melting technology.
- Further you possess a several year's industry experience preferably within the area of material science or materials application, particularly in rolling contact fatigue elements like bearings and gears
- Your educational background combined with your industrial experience allows you connecting the dots between material structure, failure modes, load ability and reliability of components. You are familiar with damage accumulation models and fracture mechanics, and understand the basics of probabilistic life models
- Through your experience in various industries, you have combined your technical expertise with an excellent business mindset which allows you to consider commercial implications in your technical decision making
- Organizational and communicative skills allow you to achieve your results through international and multi-disciplinary teams which involve colleagues from various parts of Vestas as well as supply partners globally
- With your outgoing personality, you are able to establish an external network which drives cooperative technology projects with external partners, universities and suppliers
- You motivate yourself through the results that you accomplish, and address your tasks proactively with a high degree of personal responsibility. You have high ambitions to continuously advance the quality of your deliverables, but also understand the importance to deliver on time
- Your balanced personality and self-confidence enable you to manage multiple tasks in parallel, and keep a clear sight of the targets also when stakes are high
- Excellent language skills (speaking and writing) in English are required
What we offer
The right candidate will find a challenging and demanding job, right at the forefront of developing technologies which continuously improve the competitiveness of renewable energy. Naturally, joining the global leader within wind energy makes you part of an inspiring journey, and our international footprint and global supply- and manufacturing setup provides a multi-cultural work environment.
The position we offer will provide you with excellent opportunities to develop your professional skills, advance your competencies, and develop your personality and leadership profile. The powertrain system is a core element of the wind turbine, and hence there is growth potential in the position.
Primary work location Dortmund, Germany. For additional information please contact Director of Vestas Powertrain, Roland Klinger, Mobile phone: xxxxxxx xxxxxxx407.
WIND. IT MEANS THE WORLD TO US.
By joining Vestas, you join the only global energy company dedicated 100% to wind energy. Together with our customers, we have installed more than 51.000 turbines in over 70 countries, and we remain committed to increase that number via our superior, cost-effective wind technologies, products and services.
Since Vestas was founded in 1979, Vestas has achieved a market-leading position with more than 60 GW of installed wind turbines or around 19% of total
Every day, everyone at Vestas works to make Vestas the undisputed global wind leader and the world's energy mix more sustainable - join us, and be part of ensuring a sustainable future for our planet.