Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States. Based in San Francisco, with 20,000 employees, the company delivers some of the nation's cleanest energy to 15 million people in Northern and Central California.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability status, medical condition, protected veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the job.
The Supplier Quality Assurance (SQA) department assures purchased material meets all engineering requirements, that the supplier manufacturing process is capable to produce a safe, reliable, and affordable product that meets or exceeds our customer's expectations. SQA addresses current part quality issues, continuous improvement, qualifies the supplier sites to an ISO9001 standard and their manufacturing processes. The group carries out receiving inspection for distribution equipment and source inspection for transmission equipment.
You will be responsible for performing source inspections, plant surveys, and surveillance inspections at supplier plants for gas and electrical equipment. The position interfaces with suppliers, supplier quality engineering and Codes & Standards departments.
This position will support Gas or Electric lines of business.
You must be able to travel a maximum of 75% of the time to PG&E inspection sites and supplier facilities. This may include overnight stays. In the beginning of 2016, travel may reach that maximum.
- A minimum of 5 years in a manufacturing environment or equipment inspection experience
- Bachelor's degree in engineering
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical, manufacturing, electrical, or power systems
- Experience with piping and/or valve inspection (to support Gas)
- Experience as a certified welder inspector (to support Gas)
- Experience with transformer and electrical component inspection (to support Electrical)
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment with "hands-on" experience inspecting or dispositioning defective materials
- Experience in building supplier relationships
- Ability to read standards and drawings and make reasoned judgments on the "quality of the designs"
- Knowledge of variety of non-destructive testing and basic electrical and mechanical inspection techniques
- Knowledge of electrical substation, transmission, hydro generation or gas distribution/transmission equipment
- Knowledge of six sigma quality systems and experience leading Lean Six Sigma events with either internal personnel or with suppliers
- Ability to demonstrate application of "root cause analysis" in working with supplier problems
- Ability to make reasoned decisions regarding part and system compliance when drawings are not clear
- Ability to work in a rapid pace with incomplete information; making decisions about hardware while juggling multiple problems and tasks
- Lead Auditor training
- Performs source inspections (witnessing key tests & inspecting the equipment for acceptable workmanship) for equipment and materials at supplier factories, communicates any deviations and works to resolve deviations to the supplier and the PG&E Responsible Engineer. Writes up results in an inspection report and follows up with the supplier to verify completion of any necessary corrective actions.
- Performs plant surveys of potential new suppliers by touring the plant, interviewing key staff members, and reviewing of documentation (Quality Manual, QA & test procedures, calibration records, etc.). Analyzes the information gathered and makes a recommendation regarding the supplier's capability to the internal LOB client. Document the results in a thorough plant survey report.
- Performs periodic targeted surveillance inspections at key supplier factories deemed critical by the Supplier Quality staff such as recent quality problems, changes at the factory since the last surveillance inspection, and known critical processes for the products involved. Document the results in thorough surveillance inspection reports.
- Issues Material Problem Reports (MPRs) and Supplier Corrective Action Requests (SCARs) for assigned suppliers based on group guidelines.
- Coordinates inspection schedules for orders at assigned supplier plants and other assigned purchase orders. Provide the required inspection information to the backup inspector, if necessary.
- Helps mentor Quality Engineers that are new to the Supplier Quality group.
- May represent Supplier Quality on PG&E major equipment teams.