Based in San Francisco, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States. And we deliver some of the nation's cleanest energy to our customers in Northern and Central California. For PG&E, "Together, Building a Better California" is not just a slogan. It's the very core of our mission and the scale by which we measure our success. We know that the nearly 16 million people who do business with our company count on our more than 24,000 employees for far more than the delivery of utility services. They, along with every citizen of the state we call home, also expect PG&E to help improve their quality of life, the economic vitality of their communities, and the prospect for a better future fueled by clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability status, medical condition, protected veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the job.
The Transportation Services Fleet Department at PG&E is the premier provider of service and
repair of light, medium and heavy-duty vehicles and equipment throughout the PG&E service
This is an International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local 1245 represented
classification, which has over 100 years of experience representing employees at PG&E. This job
is subject to collective bargaining.
An Equipment Mechanic is a journey-level position. Equipment Mechanics are professional mechanics with a solid knowledge and background in a wide variety of mechanical skills. Skills
include, but are not limited to, equipment service and repair of mobile hydraulics, aerial hydraulics,
OSHA boom inspections, CHP BIT Inspections, air brakes, electrical and electronic systems, diesel
and gasoline powered vehicles and equipment. Equipment Mechanics are responsible for the
maintenance, inspection and repair of company owned utility-related equipment.
Mon - Thurs; 2:30pm - 11pm & Fri; 12pm - 8:30pm
Location: All Bay Area Locations
This position is a DOT covered classification and is subject to random drug screening.
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must possess a High School diploma, GED or equivalent work experience
• Must possess a valid California Driver's License by day 1 of hire
• Must possess a valid Class A license by 6 months of hire
• Must possess a valid Class A Driver's Permit by day 1 of hire
• Must have passed California DMV medical exam by day 1 of hire
• 4 or more years' experience as a certified Journey-level Mechanic working with light, medium
and/or heavy-duty equipment service and repair
• Ability to work in all types of weather extremes
• Ability to drive safely in all weather and road conditions
• Ability to work flexible schedules, extended hours, nights, weekends, and/or overtime (scheduled
or ad hoc)
• Must be able to wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
• Must be able to lift and carry up to 75 pounds a minimum of one time a day
• Must be capable of climbing on, under and around equipment.
• Must be capable of bending and twisting using proper safety techniques.
• Must be physically able to kneel, squat or crawl as needed.
• Live within 50 miles of listed headquarters
• Must have own tools and tool box.
• Internal Candidates: Must be qualified on the Physical Test Battery (PTB) and Work
Orientation Inventory (WOI) exams before applying
• External Candidates and Hiring Hall: Must qualify on the Physical Test Battery (PTB) and Work
Orientation Inventory (WOI) exams prior
• Minimum one year experience with air brakes
• Minimum one year experience with hydraulics
• Minimum one year experience with heavy duty diesel equipment and/or vehicles
• Minimum one year experience with regulated inspections such as Cal OSHA Boom Inspections
and CHP BIT Inspections
• Minimum one year experience with vehicle electrical systems and electronic computer-controlled
• Demonstrated experience with welding and fabricating
• Demonstrated experience with reading and interpreting schematics and blueprints
• Diagnostics: Conducts visual, auditory and operational inspection of vehicles and equipment to
identify and troubleshoot problems for repair; identifies problem causes; researches problems via
repair manuals, schematics, OEM's, service bulletins and other mechanics as needed
• Repairs/Rebuilds Vehicles & Components: Uses hand tools and power tools to disassemble,
access and re-assemble equipment or components; removes and replaces broken or worn parts (such as cylinders, brakes and gaskets); performs tune-ups and electrical repairs
• Maintenance: Perform preventative maintenance and inspections as required on all types of